Monday, March 8, 2010

Ina's Greek Lasagna and Plum Crunch :)

Well, I haven't written much lately. I love cooking but it certainly costs a bit of money. I have to admit though, I haven't done all that well with my not eating out at restaurants. Haha. It's a fun way to catch up with friends and my favorite restaurant in town is Stellas Barn (Country Comfort). They serve the best shepherds pie I've ever had. Now it has been 3 times in the past couple of months I've been trying to go to the Ale House and something has come up. On my birthday my friends and I were suppose to go and they were closed! The Fire Dept had reserved it for a private party! BOO! We ended up going to chilis which was a lot of fun.

This week I'm going to make a brand new recipe from Ina I saw on her show the other day. It is a greek lasagna. But it is not with the normal lasagna noodles, but with mini shells. It's just a yummy combination of meat sauce, shells and almost like a custard like topping. With your usual bechemel sauce with eggs, cheese, cream and greek yogurt! I have to admit I'm a little nervous about that but mixed with the other ingredients I think it'll be fine. I've never had greek lasgna before and am looking forward to it.

I'm also going to make Ina's Plum Crunch. It looks spectacular. I have decided though that when my home bakery is up and running I don't think I'm going to make cakes. I made Paula Deen's Caramel Cake and it was out of this world! But they take too much time to prepare and I'm not sure how many of them I could produce. If anyone reading this, have any suggestions of what you think I can make? I have a good list but would love to hear other ideas from you guys. A former colleague of mine from Belle Sherman said to me "Make something without eggs or sugar and I'll buy something!" LOL I don't know if that is physically possible. I'm willing to experiment but am a little nervous I must say.

Well, I will write more after I make the Lasagna and Plum Crunch. But til next time I'd love to hear your food thoughts or suggestions for what I should make!


Take Care!
Lauren 

3 comments:

  1. I had to laugh when I read "with your usual bechemel sauce"; I've never heard of that. That lasagna sounds good, though! I like the idea of not having cakes; if you decide to take custom orders, you may end up with them, though. People are so used to cake. Something to keep in mind. Or only have cake one day a week. Just a thought :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://vegetarian.about.com/od/vegancakerecipes/r/sugarfreecarrot.htm

    egg and sugar-free

    ReplyDelete
  3. With their rules I can't do anything sugar free... but I think egg free is perfectly fine. My dad has this amazing ginger cookie that is egg free!!

    ReplyDelete