Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Ina's Pancake Recipe

This morning when I woke up I randomly decided to make Ina's pancake recipe. I"ve never made pancake batter from scratch. My dad always has. It's so simple! Unfortunately I didn't have any lemons for the zest it called for but I decided to use orange zest. I also don't have any bananas. :( I decided to add chocolate chips. You know me and my sweet tooth. :)  But they were so scrumptious. I am quite full and satisfied. I do wish I had made them bigger. Sometimes they were hard to flip. Any suggestions? The last one I made was big and that was better to flip but it wouldn't have made as many.

One reason I made them was so I can freeze the rest and whoever wants one can toast one. :) While flipping them it just made me dream of a Bed and Breakfast even more. I truly hope that dream of mine comes true. I know it's a ton of work but I really think I will be so content if in the future that happens. Making pancakes or waffles in the morning and other breakfast items for the guests and baking in the afternoons. Of course, there's all the cleaning and errands but the other things will make up for it and it's such an outlet for creativity. Luckily I"m still young and I pray it will still happen for me. I hope you'll try this recipe out! You can look it up on Food Network's website. www.foodnetwork.com

Take Care!
Lauren

Banana Sour Cream Pancakes
  • Cook Time: 10 min Level: Easy  Yield: 12 pancakes

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon milk
  • 2 extra-large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
  • Unsalted butter
  • 2 ripe bananas, diced, plus extra for serving
  • Pure maple syrup

Directions

Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the sour cream, milk, eggs, vanilla, and lemon zest. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones, mixing only until combined.
Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat until it bubbles. Ladle the pancake batter into the pan to make 3 or 4 pancakes. Distribute a rounded tablespoon of bananas on each pancake. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until bubbles appear on top and the underside is nicely browned. Flip the pancakes and then cook for another minute until browned. Wipe out the pan with a paper towel, add more butter to the pan, and continue cooking pancakes until all the batter is used. Serve with sliced bananas, butter and maple syrup.

3 comments:

  1. They sound really yummy Lauren! Great job with the creativity! I think I would've not made banana pancakes if I didn't have bananas, but you just said, 'Why not make my own recipe!' I think that's the mark of a good chef! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do sound good! I wouldn't have thought of sour cream in pancake mix, but when I make pancakes, the first step is opening the box of mix.

    Don't give up on that B&B! Remember what I said before-you're young-plenty of time to visit other B&Bs and get ideas and experience. Maybe get a business degree in the meantime-just kidding!

    ReplyDelete